Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 December 2011

The lists are returning...

In my teen years I was a real monkey for lists. Admittedly my mate Woodsy was one step further- his list of football grounds visited in order was surpassed only by his records and where he bought them and for how much- but I was a close second, listing my books and records compulsively in a Nick Hornby High Fidelity way.
It's kind of lingered since: checking mainly, which is handy when you're an anaesthetist ( 'what was in the big syringe again? Ah, screw it, squirt it in...' ). And I still love lists, and putting CDs in order, and stuff in bullet points, and ironing (yes... I know).
So where all this is leading is a sudden compulsion to create a list. So here's the first one for a few years:
BOoks WhAT i ReAd iN 2011

- The Anubis Gates - Tim Powers
- Infernal Devices- KW Jeter
- Popco - Scarlett Thomas
- Stardust- Neil Gaiman
- The Lies of Locke Lamora- Scott Lynch
- Perdido Street Station- China Melville
- Paratime - H Beam Piper
- A Dance with Dragons- George RR Martin
- Elric - Michael Moorcock
- The Forever War- Joe Haldeman
- The Painted Man - Peter Brett
- Tales of the Dying Earth- Jack Vance
- Eleven terrible months- Rebecca Royle
- Lucy's Monster- Rebecca Royle
- The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime- Mark Hadden
- the left hand of god- paul Hoffman
- oblivions forge- simon Williams
- The secret origins of the White Wolf- Brian Kinsella
...and of course, the graphic novels
- Adventures of Luther Arkwright- Bryan Talbot
- The Boys (volume 1)- Garth Ennis
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Alan Moore/ Kevin O'Neill
- The Tale of One Bad Rat- Bryan Talbot
- The Filth- Grant Morrison
- Neonomicon- Alan Moore
- and a stack of Avengers and Fantastic Four :b

Ooooh, I feel so much better for that list... now I need to put them in order of enjoyment...

2 comments:

  1. Love how you made sure to get the Graphic Novels in there (I've been reading Claymore, Pokemon and Full Metal Alchemist) lol. AND! I love my lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Valerie- oddly the graphic novels are some of the best I read this year. The two Bryan Talbot ones (although old) are amazing, Alan Moore can't put a foot wrong for me, and The Filth was unlike anything I've ever read. Saying that I still loved my Marvel comics- and having a 9 year old who likes them too has helped... ;)

    ReplyDelete